Get Your Wedding Day 'Glow' With These 10 Brilliant Beauty Foods
“You are what you eat” - and when it comes to your wedding beauty routine,
it couldn’t be truer! You can buy all of the fancy lotions and potions in the
world, but if you’re eating a poor diet, it’s going to come through in your
To help you look picture perfect with a definite wedding ‘glow’, we’ve
spoken to Emma Brown (ANutr), nutrition guru for food tracking app Nutracheck (download from the App store or Google Play.) Here are Emma’s
tips on how to get glowing from the inside out by adding these nutritional
powerhouses to your bridal beauty diet.
“Having a rethink about what you’re eating in the run-up to your wedding can
make a huge difference to your hair and skin. Start about 3 months before the
big day by including some of these nutrient packed foods in your diet to keep
your skin glowing, eyes sparkling and hair shining.
“For a start, the simplest, easiest, and least expensive way to keep your skin
looking young is by drinking water - and lots of it. Staying hydrated flushes
toxins from the body and gives your skin a glowing appearance.
“And don’t be tempted to go ‘fat free’ – that can dull your skin; instead choose
healthy fats contained within nuts, grains and olive oil.”
Emma’s top picks:
1. Olive oil - this healthy oil will provide you with some of your daily vitamin E -
an antioxidant which helps to maintain healthy skin and eyes by preventing
free radicals from damaging our cells.
2. Quinoa - this popular grain is full of riboflavin, niacin and zinc. Zinc plays an
important role in immunity and cell regeneration so topping up with this
nutrient can help you fight off any unwanted pre-wedding illnesses and keep
your skin cells regenerated and healthy.
3. Brazil nuts - one of the best sources of selenium around, with just 4 nuts
giving you your daily selenium needs. Selenium is used to protect our skin cells
from damage - important for fighting off those pre-wedding stressors!
4. Salmon - opt for wild salmon over farmed if you can to give you a decent
dose of omega 3 fatty acids. We need fats in our diet to help us absorb fat-
soluble vitamins A and E, which are also important for healthy skin.
5. Sweet potato - these, like many other orange coloured fruits and
vegetables, are a fantastic source of the antioxidant vitamin A: 100g contains
more than your daily required amount.
6. Red peppers - these sweet and tasty delights are packed full of vitamin C -
another antioxidant important for skin health. Vitamin C is used by the body to
grow and repair body tissue, so helps to keep our skin supple and eyes
7. Eggs - a breakfast favourite and a skin booster too! Eggs are a great source
of riboflavin and pyridoxine - two B vitamins important for maintaining healthy
skin, eyes and hair.
8. Turkey - a low fat source of protein, important for skin health, but also a
great source of the B vitamin niacin, which helps our body produce new cells,
so skin damage can be more readily repaired.
9. Mackerel - this oily fish comes with a healthy dose of pyridoxine and also
omega 3 fatty acids which help to maintain our body's cell walls, to keep our
body tissues healthy and protected. Read, healthy supple skin and shiny hair!
10. Dark chocolate - with the stress that comes with planning your big day, a
little treat will certainly be needed. Dark chocolate will give you a sweet,